Capcom’s firth installment in the Devil May Cry franchise is less than a month away from releasing and recently it was revealed that the title could have been held off if not for Game Director Hideki Itsuno deciding on developing the title rather than making a sequel to Dragon’s Dogma.
In a recent interview with VG24/7, Itsuno explains that when time came to work on a new project he was up to either continue on the story for The Son of Sparda or to make a sequel for the 2012 title.
“So, when the discussion came up for Devil May Cry 5, I went to Kenzo [Kenzo Tsujimoto, Capcom founder] and I said… look, I want to make either Devil May Cry 5 or Dragon’s Dogma 2 next,” Itsuno told VG247. “He said ‘okay, do whatever you want. Do whichever one you want.’ So I thought, alright, y’know what… let’s do DMC5. So we did that.”
And now currently seeing the game as it just entered its second demo for the March aimed title, Itsuno and his team over at Capcom have really showed their eagerness to bring an anticipated title to this generation of consoles. Since getting a surprise debut at Xbox’s E3 2018 press conference, many details on the hack-and-slash revolving around returning characters, weapons, and new features have been revealed leading up to the game’s launch.
Despite fans now knowing that the sequel, as of yet by assumption, is currently not in development. But following next month, fans could have high hopes for the long awaited successor to be Itsuno’s next project if nothing else is on his plate. In the meantime, fans can return to the title as a Switch port was recently announced earlier this month.
Devil May Cry V is releasing on Xbox One and PlayStation 4 on March 7, 2019.